Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stuff and Fluff

Winters here are hard. We are outdoor people- Olive, Maybe, and I. 
We are not indoor people. 

I remember when I was little I came to visit Utah in the winter and my cousin said "I hate the snow." You HATE the snow! How can anyone hate the snow?? Where I grew up it snowed once or twice and the whole world was magical and they canceled school and work and everyone went out sledding and built snowmen and then it was all gone the next day. Now I get it. The days seem so much longer, even though they are shorter- and we are so restless cooped up here longing for the freedom of the outdoors. I keep having the thought that i am just going to get in the car and drive until I feel the warmth on my body and we will all get out and frolic around! (But then I remember that I like have a job and responsibilities and stuff.)
So I have decided that it is absolutely necessary to get out as much as possible. Olive feels the same way. We have made every Tuesday our library day. We drop off Daddy at work and we head to the library. We look at all kinds of books and we go to story time and we walk around talking to ourselves about nothing in particular. And we love it. Afterwards we go to Provo Bakery for a treat because, obviously right? Then we go home and take our naps. It's perfect.

Ever Thursday we plan to meet up with my sister at the Discovery Gateway. We will love that. The rest of our time at home is filled with snuggling while watching Winne the Pooh and The Lorax, long baths, lots of scribbles on paper and our chalkboard (and sometimes our walls and doors), pushing our little grocery cart down the hallway, playing with all our new Christmas presents, and of course destroying, dumping out, or dismembering anything in our path. Olive likes to do the last ones the very most, me- not so much. 
I'm finding more than ever that keeping a perfectly clean and tidy house doesn't make me happy and while I recognize it's important to create an organized environment for my family- there is only so much I can do while feeling that I am being who I am truly am, and I think it's more important to have a Mommy that is present and happy because that reflects on the family more than anything else. So maybe I will always have a slightly disorganized and untidy house. Who cares. 

And so I say, while the winters are long and hard they are not without those beautiful moments I try to capture when I can. And I get on  my knees every night and thank God for my wonderful blessings.  At no other time in my life have I ever felt more thankful and blessed than I do these days. 

At the end of it all, life is beautiful. 





1 comment:

  1. This is going to be so weird. I follow your sister's blog because I sew, too. She posted photos of your top she made, and I thought you looked so familiar. Then I remembered I saw you at Jungle Jim's, and I liked your shirt. Am I right or just crazy?!

    ReplyDelete