Saturday, June 13, 2015

Our little Drives up the Canyon











You know those naps times, they're fading. In a way it is stressful, and in a way it's a relief to not have to worry about catering to a nap schedule (although Elijah has stopped sleeping on the go, so we are back to being a slave to the nap time anyways.) Olive doesn't seem to get any more sleep when she naps (she just stays up later,) but she still seems to do better when she breaks up her day with a little rest, don't we all? I don't know why we haven't implemented siestas here yet! It doesn't help that it gets dark so late now that it's summer, and we love being out at night and not having to worry that we need to get Olive back home early so she can go to bed. So, we are going through this little phase of our lives where we all hop in the car around 1 or 2 pm and go for a drive up the canyon and it puts my babes to sleep like a dream, which makes the likelihood of me getting a nap a little higher, which makes me a happier and better mommy :)

It has turned out to be something that I have loved. Instead of viewing it as this burden where I have to go through this routine everyday, I see it as this time where I get to be with my babes, watch them drift off into sleep while I listen to some beautiful classical piano and drive up and down the beautiful Provo Canyon that I feel so blessed to live by. Their sleep cd is one that I obtained by a young 18 year old man selling his personal piano compilations door to door. I don't often think about the person playing the music when I listen to it, but because I met him and chatted with him I always picture him softly moving his fingers up and down the piano as I listen to each note. I choose to leave my phone home most of the time, or put it somewhere out of reach. It has turned out to be a peaceful time where I can gather all my thoughts without any interruption. I already feel ourselves moving out of this phase, and it makes me a little sad so I wanted to document it for memory. Yesterday Olive put herself to bed at about 5 pm (this has never happened ever) and then woke back up at about 7:30 pm... so that was fun :) And today as we took our drive up the canyon she was so chit chatty with me (which I actually love) and she kept reminding me "I'm still awake  Mommy" because she knows we take those drives to put her to sleep. After a bit however she gave into the soft purr of the road and we made our way back home. 
But you know it's true what they say, nothing gold can stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment