Monday, November 2, 2015

Moab.

This past weekend Kc and I went to Moab. I had bought Kc and I a Groupon for skydiving for his Christmas present back in December. We had talked about going together for years, and so when I saw the deal I thought it would be a good time to go. Kc had already been a couple times in Hawaii but I had never been, and despite the fact that it was my idea to go I was full blown panic mode about it. It had even taken me a week just to decide if I wanted to buy that Groupon. I think Kc was really questioning if I would follow through with it, but I had committed to do it even if I was so paralyzed with fear that I had to be pushed out of the plane. It was something I had put on my life list and really wanted to experience, and I have never regretted doing any of the things I had put on my list, and this was no different. It was an amazing experience. 

We didn't want to waste a perfectly good trip to Moab so we brought a couple of our friends along with us who are the one of the funnest couples you'll ever meet in your life. They borrowed their parents razors so we could spend the rest of the day doing that before or after we skydived. It was one of the best days I've ever had. We were supposed to skydive at 9 am, but it was so foggy that the visibility was low so we took out the razors and came back around 1:30 to do our jump. My friends were not supposed to jump with us, but last minute my friend Kayla decided to do it- which was awesome! I recommend going that route to anyone because she got a really good deal on it, and didn't have to deal with the anxiety and stress for the whole day beforehand (maybe that's just me though haha.)

I recommend skydiving to anyone who is scared, and maybe even recommend it more if you are scared because (not to be dramatic) but overcoming that kind of intense fear changed me. I feel like people see me do a lot of crazy things and so they just think I don't have fear of those things and so it's different for me than it is for them to do it, but that's not the case. I don't get a rush or a high from the adrenaline, but I do get one from having these unique experiences where I push myself beyond the boundaries of what I thought I was capable. In the plane I was so overcome with fear as we started to ascend, I looked at my husband and I said I can't do this- but I knew in my heart I would. I was sweating, shaking, my mouth had gone completely dry, and I thought I was going to throw up. Then I decided to take control of my fear. I went completely silent. I took myself to a peaceful place. I thought of my children and how each morning when I get home from work they run up to me and wrap their arms around me saying "Mommy!" and I asked God for assistance to feel calm and steady in my brain and in my heart. After silent meditation for what seemed like an eternity (mostly because the plane was a tin can and it was climbing up at a snail's pace) I wasn't scared anymore. And when he opened up the plane door and told me to put my feet out on the ledge, I honestly did it without any hesitation or fear. I love that I got to that point where I could be fully immersed in the moment and just let go, because the fact that you are jumping out of plane and just falling/floating in the air is just about as cool as it gets. I felt so in the moment and I was trying to look and feel and observe every nuance. It's true what people say, you never even get that falling feeling like when you are dropped on a ride. It takes your breath away for a slight moment, but I wasn't cold- or maybe I was I just wasn't aware of it. I was anticipating it being more painful when he pulled the cord but it honestly didn't hurt and the landed was so smooth I only needed to run for a few steps. What an experience. It made me feel confident in myself that if I am ever in a situation where I am faced with intense fear that I can overcome it and take control of myself, and if necessary, take action. Guys, do this, you won't regret it. I promise. 
Unless you die.















Altamont.

When we were about 10 minutes from home on our way back from Moab I got a call from my friend Stephanie. She said her husband's work had rented this cabin on the wrong day up in Altamont and so it was available if we wanted to go up and stay there that next night and I mean, who says no to that? So we got home, tucked our kids in bed, got up early the next morning for a tethered ballon ride with the kids at Kc's dad's work party, picked up some pumpkins for carving on Sunday evening (this was Saturday) and then we drove two hours up the mountain to Altamont! The cabin was on this little tiny lake with some cute little row boats and canoes and good fishing. The kids loved going out in the boat, and Olive loves anytime she gets to spend with her friend Amelia. The kids played and played, looked for lizards, drew pictures in the dirt, and pretended to catch some fish. Some of Steph and Chris's other friends came up and made a delicious Mexican feast and we put in our part by making some fresh guacamole. We put the kids to bed, sat by the fire and had some smores, and then jumped in the hot tub. We spent the rest of the night playing and talking and in the morning we had a delicious breakfast and headed home. It was so worth the spur of the moment planning and the two hour drive there and back just for one night in a isolated cabin up in the mountains. 
In Summary, we had an unexpectedly amazing weekend.















I love us trying to take a cute picture and Elijah harassing Eliza in the back round. 
Typical.




The one bonus to your kids getting you up at the crack of dawn.





Wish you could hear the conversation between these two talking about catching fish. Seared in my memory. The little cuties.




No comments:

Post a Comment