Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sister Reunion 2016

My sisters and I have started to make it a tradition to do a retreat together in Bear Lake every summer. It is something I look forward to all year! The first year I just went with a few of my sisters, last year my mom came and all my sisters were there except my youngest who was on a mission at the time, and this year all my sisters came except my younger sister Candace who only came up for the Preston Rodeo and my sister in laws who couldn't make it since they live in Washington and couldn't work out scheduling. 

My oldest sister Bethany owns a little old house that they purchased through family just a couple  years ago. It is really old and needs a lot of work, but that is part of the charm of it. Her father in law grew up there in this small three bedroom/one bath house with 8 other siblings. It is fun to be there and think about their life growing up. My mom grew up in Preston which is only about an hour from where we stayed. I love being with my mom there because she turns back into the person that she was growing up, a little more stubborn, wild and defiant. She is so happy and care free when we go there, and I think she just loves being with all her daughters and we all love being together. 

My sisters and I love to be active and adventurous, especially when we don't have littles to attend to, so we fill up our schedule with all kinds of fun activities and go go go. We all got there late Wednesday so we could have all day Thursday and Friday and leave Saturday afternoon. Thursday morning we got up, had a delicious leisure breakfast and then headed out to the lake. We rented a couple paddle boards for an hour while we waited for our boat rental. Because we were raised by our father we are unable use anything the way it was intended to be used so we tried to do competitions on the paddle boards and climb on each others backs while standing on them (I only recommend this if you don't mind falling in multiple times.) Last year we had rented a boat and loved it so much we did it again. I think it was even more fun this year because in addition to the tube rental we discovered all the boats came with waterskis which we didn't know last year. We had a fun time trying them out, especially my sisters that had never water skied before. My mom grew up water skiing and driving a boat with her best friend near the home she grew up in and she turns into a wild women when she is behind the wheel and I love it. She was trying to throw us off the tube and was laughing so hard she was almost crying when we would go flying around the lake. Then we hurried home, got ready, and headed off to the Preston Rodeo. Since my mom is from Preston and we grew up going there every year. We love it. My sister Candace met up with us there since she didn't live too far away in Wyoming and it was fun to have all the sisters for a night like how it was growing up. It was such a fun day and after throughly wearing ourselves out it was nice to be able to go home and not have to put kids to bed and sleep in as late as we wanted, it was perfect. 









Friday we had a leisure morning and went for a long ATV ride. My sister Kaylee and I were behind my other sisters and mom so we got covered in dirt and dust. Next time I need to remember goggles and a handkerchief. We rode up into the mountains and it's so amazing just to be out in nature where it is only you and the trees, everything is just so beautiful especially when it has been untouched by the human hand. We came home, took naps, and then headed into Garden City for burgers and the famous raspberry shakes. Everyone shared their shakes but me, I got my own, and I ate the whole thing (which is probably why I gained a few pounds on this trip.) Well worth it. We came home and played some games and laughed and talked. We are always laughing when we are together.












Saturday morning we got up and headed up to Bloomington lake. We didn't have much time since I had to leave early afternoon in order to get home in time for tickets that I had for "The Music Man" at Sundance that evening (which was amazing by the way.) My sisters and I made our way up the trail, it's so so beautiful up there. As much as I was enjoying being kid free I was thinking of Olive and Elijah the whole time and how much they would love everything we were doing. I haven't been able to take them this summer because I have been so busy, I hope I have time during the last week before preschool starts (eek!) It is a lot busier up at the lake than it used to be and there was a big family reunion going on so we had to wait a bit for the rope swing. I am always so nervous to plunge into the water because there is always still ice up there and the water is freezing, but for whatever reason it didn't seem as cold this year. We tried going from a higher rock this year which can be a little sketchy because you have to avoid hitting the lower rock but I couldn't believe how much higher it got me out above the lake. Oh man it was fun. Then we all hurried home and got ready and headed on our way. Girls trip success! And I made it home just in time to get to see one of my favorite musicals of all time. This summer is rolling out real nicely. Thanks summer.











No comments:

Post a Comment